What Is a Hydrocephalus Lawyer?
Hydrocephalus lawyers are specialized personal injury attorneys who focus on helping families of children who develop hydrocephalus during childbirth.
In many cases, the condition is unavoidable, such as congenital hydrocephalus or birth defects. However, in other cases, it is due to medical negligence on behalf of delivery teams.
If left untreated, water on the brain can cause lifelong medical conditions and even permanent brain injury. Lifelong disabilities can mean physical, cognitive, and emotional challenges for your child.
Hydrocephalus often requires a shunt (device inserted to drain excess fluid) to avoid the buildup of cerebrospinal fluid in the brain’s ventricles. Managing a shunt system can be lifelong. Therefore, the costs of ongoing care and treatment for water on the brain can be substantial.
The birth injury lawyers in our network have helped families across the country recover over $862 million from lawsuits, including hydrocephalus cases. Find out if they can help you get the justice and financial compensation your family deserves.
Get a free case evaluation right now.
A free case review is the first step in pursuing compensation for you and your family.
Hydrocephalus and Medical Malpractice
Complications from infant hydrocephalus can lead to severe and long-term complications like permanent brain damage.
Obstetricians and other medical professionals are responsible for ensuring safe delivery practices, including preventing infant brain trauma that can lead to hydrocephalus. Failure to uphold the standard of care could mean you have a birth injury medical malpractice claim.
- Birth trauma: Improper handling of the baby’s head during birth, leading to physical trauma such as head injuries, bleeding, or damage
- Delayed cesarean section: Failing to perform a C-section in a timely manner when needed can result in prolonged distress for the baby, increasing the risk of damage to the baby’s brain
- Mismanagement of premature birth: Inadequate care for a prematurely born baby, who may be more susceptible to brain hemorrhages
- Misuse of vacuum extractors or forceps: Overuse or incorrect use of assisted delivery tools can cause bleeding or damage in the infant’s brain
If you believe medical negligence was the cause of your child’s hydrocephalus, consulting with an experienced birth injury attorney can provide clarity and potentially a path to financial security for your child’s future.
How Can Hydrocephalus Lawyers Help?
An experienced hydrocephalus lawyer may be able to handle a medical malpractice case on your behalf. They can simplify the lawsuit process for you, taking care of all the necessary legal work.
- Provide a free consultation: Top medical malpractice lawyers offer a free case review to see if you may have a valid birth injury claim.
- Investigate the birth injury: Your lawyer carefully evaluates the details of your child’s birth to determine the cause of hydrocephalus.
- Collect evidence: Your hydrocephalus lawyer gathers medical records, medical bills, opinions from medical experts, and other relevant evidence to build a strong case.
- File the lawsuit: They file your birth injury lawsuit correctly, in the appropriate court system, and within your case’s specific deadlines.
- Negotiate on your behalf: They skillfully communicate with the other side to try to secure the highest birth injury settlement out of court.
- Represent you in court: If a fair birth injury settlement isn’t reached, they take your case to trial to continue fighting for your family in front of a judge or jury.
By hiring an experienced hydrocephalus lawyer, you can concentrate on caring for your child while your legal team tirelessly pursues the financial compensation and justice your family deserves.
Infant Hydrocephalus Settlements and Verdicts
Hydrocephalus settlements and verdicts provide the financial aid needed to care for children harmed at birth. Many birth injury settlements have awarded millions of dollars to families.
- $42 million in Pennsylvania after forceps delivery caused severe neurological damage
- $18.5 million in Illinois due to physicians prescribing a dangerous drug while the mother could become pregnant, leading to spina bifida
- $2.4 million in California for failure to detect brain conditions in prenatal tests
- $1.2 million in New York for delayed diagnosis of hydrocephalus, causing brain damage
Many families have found that hiring an experienced hydrocephalus lawyer significantly increased the compensation they received in their birth injury lawsuit.
Get a free case review right now to see if you qualify to work with top hydrocephalus lawyers near you.
A free case review is the first step in pursuing compensation for you and your family.
When Should I Hire a Hydrocephalus Lawyer?
Consider hiring a hydrocephalus lawyer as soon as you suspect medical providers may have made mistakes that caused your child’s condition.
It’s essential to act quickly because there’s a strict window of time to file lawsuits, known as the statute of limitations. Once this deadline passes, you won’t be able to pursue compensation through legal action.
Each state has a specific deadline for birth injury cases, making it necessary to consult a lawyer who understands the laws in your area. A hydrocephalus lawyer can tell you how much time you have to file your lawsuit.
This can be crucial in cases involving newborn injuries because often, these injuries aren’t easy to spot right away. Many families may not realize their child has been hurt until they get older and start missing developmental milestones.
By working with an experienced hydrocephalus lawyer, you can ensure your case is filed before your deadline, even if you don’t have an official diagnosis yet.
How to Find the Best Hydrocephalus Lawyer
Finding the right hydrocephalus lawyer for your case is essential to increase your chances of a successful outcome. Birth injury cases are complex and challenging to prove, but experienced attorneys can help.
Below are some qualities to look for in a hydrocephalus lawyer.
No Upfront Costs
Choose a hydrocephalus lawyer who works on a contingency fee basis. This means there are no upfront costs, and you only pay legal fees if they recover money for you. They will receive a percentage of your payout if they negotiate a birth injury settlement or win a trial verdict for you.
Track Record in Successful Birth Injury Payouts
Your lawyer should have a proven track record of successful birth injury claims. Attorneys with a history of obtaining substantial settlements and verdicts are more likely to secure the compensation you deserve.
The Birth Injury Justice Center partners with law firms that have recovered over $862 million for families of children who were harmed at birth. Additionally, our extensive network of top birth injury lawyers can help families in all 50 states.
Registered Nurses on Staff
Our legal partners have labor and delivery nurses on staff with decades of combined expertise. They are available to listen to your story and answer any questions you may have. Talking with a caring nurse can help you understand what could have gone wrong to cause your child’s injury.
Connect with a registered nurse right now.
Experience With Hydrocephalus Cases
Seek attorneys with a history of handling infant hydrocephalus and other birth injury cases. Top hydrocephalus lawyers know about this medical condition. This means they can gather the evidence needed to build a strong case linking your child’s injury to medical negligence.
Connection to a Reputable Birth Injury Law Firm
Your attorney should also work at a trusted birth injury law firm. This allows them to partner with other birth injury lawyers on a case to get the best results for families. They also have access to extensive resources such as expert witnesses, paralegals, and other legal professionals.
Find a Hydrocephalus Lawyer Near You
The Birth Injury Justice Center team understands that your child’s future is your top concern, and all your efforts are directed toward ensuring their well-being and happiness.
We believe that having the right hydrocephalus lawyer can significantly improve the outcome of your case and your child’s future.
Infant hydrocephalus cases can be challenging, requiring a lawyer who possesses both legal expertise and a commitment to advocating for your family’s unique needs.
Lawyers experienced in hydrocephalus complications can provide clear guidance throughout the legal process, tirelessly fighting for your rights and pursuing the compensation your family deserves.
Hydrocephalus Lawyer FAQs
Can you sue for hydrocephalus?
Yes, you may be able to sue for hydrocephalus if it results from medical malpractice, such as misdiagnosis, delayed diagnosis, or improper treatment during or after childbirth.
To sue for hydrocephalus, your legal team will have to prove that medical negligence directly led to the condition or worsened its outcome.
The Birth Injury Justice Center partners with some of the country’s best hydrocephalus lawyers. Find out if we can connect you right now with a free case review.
What is the process of filing a hydrocephalus birth injury lawsuit?
Working with a skilled medical malpractice attorney is often the best first step to filing a hydrocephalus birth injury lawsuit.
A skilled attorney can:
- Gather evidence to build a strong case.
- File medical malpractice claim paperwork according to deadlines.
- Negotiate with the opposing parties for the largest settlement possible.
- Fight for you in court if the opposing party refuses to settle.
How can a lawyer prove my child’s hydrocephalus birth injury?
To prove a hydrocephalus birth injury, lawyers typically investigate the events that took place around the time of birth and collect evidence showing medical malpractice.
This evidence may include:
- Eyewitness accounts
- Medical reports and diagnoses
- Pictures and videos
- Testimony by medical experts
How much can you get from a hydrocephalus settlement?
The average birth injury settlement is about $1 million. However, many families have received multimillion-dollar settlements in hydrocephalus cases.
For example, a hospital in California settled for $2.4 million after failing to detect and warn parents about their newborn’s hydrocephalus and spina bifida.
That said, the value of a hydrocephalus settlement is affected by various factors, such as the severity of the injury and the child’s expected medical needs.
An experienced hydrocephalus lawyer can assess the specifics of your case and tell you what you may be able to expect. We can connect you right now if you qualify — call our team at (800) 914-1562.