What Is a Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy Lawyer?
Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) lawyers are specialized personal injury attorneys who represent families affected by HIE that should have been prevented with proper medical care.
Depending on the severity, hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy can mean lifelong disabilities that most families are not prepared for. These could include cognitive impairments, motor function difficulties, and an increased risk of cerebral palsy or epilepsy.
The lawyers in our network have helped families across the country recover over $862 million from birth injury lawsuits, including cases of preventable HIE. Find out if they can help your family.
Get a free and confidential case review right now.
A free case review is the first step in pursuing compensation for you and your family.
Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) and Medical Malpractice
HIE is a form of brain injury in infants, often linked to medical malpractice. It occurs when a baby’s brain receives insufficient blood (ischemia) or oxygen (hypoxia). This situation can be avoided with proper care in some cases.
The condition leads to reduced blood flow to the brain. This causes decreased oxygen and glucose (sugar) to get to the brain cells. Additionally, it increases the amount of calcium in the brain cells, which can cause cell death. In severe cases, this can result in permanent neurological impairments like cerebral palsy.
- Extended labor and delivery: Prolonged labor can increase the risk of HIE, especially if not managed properly with a medically necessary cesarean section (C-section)
- Fetal distress: Inadequate monitoring or response to signs of abnormal heart rate, breathing problems, or lack of oxygen
- Impaired lung function: Negligence in addressing issues related to the baby’s lung function during or after birth
- Placental abruption: Failure to promptly address or recognize rupture of the placenta can lead to reduced blood and oxygen flow to the baby
- Umbilical cord problems: Failure to detect and manage complications with the umbilical cord, like prolonged pinching
If you suspect medical professionals could have prevented your child’s condition, a hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer may be able to help. Find out right now with a free case review.
How Can a Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy Lawyer Help?
An experienced hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer can simplify the lawsuit process for you, handling all legal work. They will develop a customized approach for you and your family, generally involving the following steps.
Here is how a top birth injury lawyer can help:
- Providing a free consultation: They offer a free case review to see if you may have a valid birth injury claim.
- Investigating the birth injury: Your lawyer examines the details of your child’s birth to determine if HIE was caused by medical negligence.
- Collecting evidence: Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyers gather medical records, expert opinions, and other relevant evidence to build a strong case.
- Filing the lawsuit: They handle each step of the legal process, ensuring all documents are filed correctly and within the required timeframes.
- Negotiating on your behalf: They will work to secure the highest birth injury settlement without going to trial.
- Representing you in court: If a fair settlement isn’t reached, they will take your case to trial to fight for your rights.
Working with an experienced hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer allows you to focus on your child. Your legal team will work diligently to get the financial support and justice your family deserves.
Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy Settlements and Verdicts
Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy settlements provide families with the financial aid needed to care for their child. In fact, HIE settlements have awarded millions of dollars to families who have been impacted.
- $35 million+ in New York for a child born with severe brain injuries and HIE due to undiagnosed placental abruption
- $8.8 million in Ohio for a child born with cerebral palsy, HIE, and epilepsy after a complicated pregnancy and delayed C-section
- $6 million in Michigan for a child born with cerebral palsy, seizures, and cognitive impairments after failure to address fetal distress
- $5.5 million in Maryland for an infant with HIE due to an improperly positioned post-delivery catheter
- $4.75 million+ in New Hampshire for a child who developed HIE and disabilities following a difficult vaginal birth after a healthy pregnancy
- $4.25 million in Massachusetts for a baby born with HIE after a prolonged and mishandled labor induction
- $2.5 million in Florida for a newborn with HIE, seizures, and respiratory failure due to improperly induced labor
For many families, working with an experienced HIE lawyer helped increase their birth injury lawsuit payouts.
Get a free case review right now to see if you qualify to work with a hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy attorney near you.
A free case review is the first step in pursuing compensation for you and your family.
When Should I Hire a Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy Lawyer?
You should consider hiring a hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer as soon as you suspect your child’s condition might be due to a medical error.
Each state has its own set deadline for birth injury cases. Therefore, it is essential to consult a lawyer who understands the laws in your area. A hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer can advise you on the best time to file your lawsuit.
Additionally, your newborn may be misdiagnosed or not diagnosed with HIE immediately after birth. However, an experienced hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer can ensure your case is filed before your deadline, even if you don’t have an official diagnosis yet.
How to Find the Best Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy Lawyer
Selecting the right hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer for your case is essential to increase your chances of a successful outcome. Birth injury cases are complex and challenging to prove, but experienced attorneys can help.
Below are some qualities to look for in hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyers.
No Upfront Costs
Choose a hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer who works on a contingency fee basis. This means there are no upfront costs, and you don’t pay legal fees unless your case is successful. If they negotiate a birth injury settlement or win a verdict for you, they will receive a percentage of your payout.
Registered Nurses on Staff
Our legal partners have labor and delivery nurses with decades of combined expertise on staff. They are available to listen to your story, answer any questions you have, and help you understand what could have caused your child’s HIE.
Connect with one of our nurses right now.
Experience in Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy Cases
Seek attorneys with experience handling HIE and other birth injury cases. Top hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyers know how to gather the evidence needed to build a strong case linking your child’s HIE with medical negligence.
History of Successful Birth Injury Settlements
Experienced HIE lawyers have a proven track record of success with previous HIE and other birth injury cases. This means they can accurately assess your child’s birth injury, calculate the amount of money needed for your child’s lifelong care, and fight hard to get you the money your family needs.
Works at a Reputable Birth Injury Law Firm
Choosing an attorney from a trusted birth injury law firm can significantly strengthen your legal representation. These firms not only offer extensive legal expertise but also have access to substantial resources and support, ensuring a more comprehensive approach to your case.
Find a Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy Lawyer Near You
Your child’s well-being is the top priority. Having the right hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer can make all the difference in the outcome of your case.
HIE cases are complex and require a lawyer who is not only experienced in the law but also dedicated to advocating for your family’s unique needs.
Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyers with the right experience can guide you through the legal process with clarity. They work hard to ensure your rights are upheld and fight for the compensation your family deserves.
At the Birth Injury Justice Center, we partner with some of the country’s best hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyers.
Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy Lawyer FAQs
What is hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy medical malpractice?
Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy medical malpractice occurs when negligence leads to a brain injury caused by insufficient oxygen and blood flow during childbirth.
Families have legal rights to seek compensation when HIE occurs due to medical malpractice. They shouldn’t bear the financial burden of lifelong care caused by a medical professional’s mistake.
The Birth Injury Justice Center partners with some of the best hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyers in the country. Find out if we can connect you right now with a free case review.
Do you have to hire a hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer to start a lawsuit?
You are not required to work with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyers. However, it is in your family’s best interest to do so. Birth injury cases, especially those involving HIE, are complex, and legal expertise can significantly increase your chances of a successful outcome.
How much does a hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer cost?
A top hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer will usually not charge any upfront legal fees. They only get paid if you win your case and are awarded financial compensation.
Your hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer will take a percentage of your compensation to cover their legal fees. The percentage collected can vary, so discussing this with your attorney is important.
What is the settlement for an HIE lawsuit?
The value of an HIE settlement varies widely and is influenced by factors such as the severity of the injury, ongoing medical needs, and long-term consequences. However, the average birth injury settlement is estimated at $1 million.
Experienced hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyers can assess the specifics of your case to provide an estimate.
How long will an HIE birth injury case take to settle?
The duration varies and is influenced by factors like the complexity of the case, time spent negotiating, and potential court proceedings. An experienced hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer can provide a more accurate estimated timeline based on the specific details of your case.