What Can a Cerebral Palsy Law Firm Do?
A cerebral palsy law firm can help get compensation and justice for families affected by medical negligence that caused cerebral palsy (CP). The best cerebral palsy law firms are experienced in getting maximum compensation in complex birth injury cases.
Our partner law firm has helped recover over $862 million for families with children with birth injuries across the country.
CP law firms are dedicated to helping families file successful cerebral palsy lawsuits. Below are some of the steps involved.
Investigate What Caused Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral palsy is usually caused by brain damage before, during, or shortly after birth. It can affect brain development, causing floppy limbs and motor impairment. Some children with CP also have intellectual disabilities.
A cerebral palsy law firm can review what caused your child’s CP and whether cerebral palsy medical malpractice was involved.
- Asphyxia (lack of oxygen to the brain)
- Brain injury
- Failure to identify and treat fetal distress
- Improper use of forceps or vacuum extractors
- Maternal and newborn infections
- Premature birth
- Untreated newborn jaundice
If any of these issues occurred when you gave birth to your child with CP, you probably have questions.
The Birth Injury Justice Center has highly trained and compassionate labor and delivery nurses on staff who can help.
Connect with a registered nurse now to talk confidentially about what could have happened to your child. There is no cost or obligation to you.
Establish Cerebral Palsy Case Values
Your law firm’s birth injury attorneys and nurses will evaluate the harm you’ve suffered as a result of your child’s cerebral palsy diagnosis.
Depending on the severity of your child’s condition, you may be able to receive compensation for many different aspects of life with CP.
The average settlement of a cerebral palsy lawsuit is $1 million.
Here are some of the ways you can be compensated through a CP lawsuit:
- Loss of future earnings for your child (since people with CP often can’t work)
- Loss of income for you and other caregivers (since you may have to change jobs or stop working to take care of your child)
- Pain and suffering caused by your child’s condition
- Past, current, and future medical expenses, including medical equipment like motorized wheelchairs
Build a Strong Cerebral Palsy Birth Injury Case
After identifying and calculating your potential case value, your cerebral palsy law firm will work tirelessly to build the strongest birth injury case possible.
- Assess how CP has affected your child’s life: The cerebral palsy law firm will gather medical records, eyewitness testimony, and other evidence to determine how CP has affected your child’s life and will likely impact them in the future.
- Interview medical experts: They will interview third-party experts to strengthen your claim. Examples include medical professionals who can testify to your child’s needs and diagnosis and financial planners who can prove that your child will continue needing financial assistance for the rest of their life.
- Communicate with insurance companies: Insurance companies don’t have your best interest at heart. To make sure you get the justice you deserve, your cerebral palsy law firm will handle all negotiations with insurers.
- Fight for your rights in court: If they can’t reach an agreement with the medical professionals you’re suing, your cerebral palsy law firm can take your case to court. Your lawyer will present the facts of your case to convince the judge and jury that you deserve maximum compensation.
File A Cerebral Palsy Lawsuit
Experienced cerebral palsy law firms have the expertise and resources needed to file your birth injury lawsuit properly and within the window of time provided according to your state’s law.
It is extremely important to understand that each state has laws called statutes of limitations, which place strict deadlines around how long you have to take legal action.
Don’t wait. Connect with our team now to get started. There is no cost or obligation for you to get a legal case review.
A free case review is the first step in pursuing compensation for you and your family.
Who Needs a Cerebral Palsy Law Firm?
You may need the help of a skilled cerebral palsy law firm if you suspect your child developed CP because of improper medical care. Remember, medical negligence can happen before, during, and even after delivery.
Your delivery team was trained to make lightning-fast decisions to protect the safety of you and your child. However, the reality is sometimes birth injuries cannot be avoided, even with the best medical care.
This makes birth injury cases especially complex and challenging to prove.
Experienced cerebral palsy law firms have handled CP cases before and know how to determine when the condition could have been prevented.
Cost of Cerebral Palsy Law Firms
The best cerebral palsy law firms work on a contingency fee basis. This means that if they accept your case, they will not charge you any upfront or out-of-pocket legal fees.
If your case is successful, your cerebral palsy law firm will take a percentage of the compensation you were awarded. The money they collect from you is to pay the firm back for the legal expenses they incurred to successfully handle your case.
If your case does not result in financial compensation, your cerebral palsy law firm will not charge you, so there is no financial risk for your family.
It is important to remember that not all law firms charge clients in this way.
Legal fees are laid out in the agreement you will sign with your cerebral palsy law firm. Make sure you understand how the firm will be compensated and do not sign anything until you understand your obligations and are comfortable with them.
Top Benefits of Hiring a Cerebral Palsy Law Firm
There are many benefits to hiring a cerebral palsy law firm, including the following.
1. Holding the Negligent Party Responsible
Working with a cerebral palsy law firm allows you to hold parties responsible for your child’s birth injury. Depending on the facts of your case, the medical professional who caused harm could be a doctor, nurse, midwife, or hospital.
Often, birth injury lawsuits have multiple defendants, such as the doctor and hospital both.
No matter who is responsible, a top cerebral palsy law firm will ensure that you get justice for your child and that all negligent parties are held accountable.
2. Getting Financial Compensation
If your cerebral palsy lawsuit is successful, you can recover financial compensation for your child’s past, current, and future medical expenses.
You may also get compensation for other losses you and your family have incurred as a result of your child’s birth injury. This could include loss of earnings and pain and suffering.
Besides helping your family to pay bills, financial compensation can also bring comfort and peace of mind.
3. Preventing Future Cases of CP Caused by Birth Injury
By holding negligent medical providers responsible for your child’s injury, you can help prevent future birth injuries from happening.
Losing a CP medical malpractice case can force negligent medical professionals to provide better care to families in the future or even stop practicing.
What to Look for in a Cerebral Palsy Law Firm
Finding the best cerebral palsy law firm for your family is extremely important. Birth injury cases are complex, so you should work with a law firm with experience and a proven track record of success. You will also want to find a legal team your family is comfortable with.
- Experience handling similar cases: The best law firm for your case should have experience handling cases involving cerebral palsy similar to yours.
- Free consultations: Trusted law firms provide free initial consultations.
- No upfront costs: Top cerebral palsy law firms with a proven track record don’t charge anything until they get compensation for their clients.
Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Cerebral Palsy Law Firm
Before hiring a cerebral palsy law firm, you should ask several questions to make sure it will be a good fit.
- How much do you charge, and when is payment expected?
- What is the average cerebral palsy settlement and trial verdict for your firm?
- How many years of cerebral palsy lawsuit experience do your cerebral palsy lawyers have?
- Have you handled medical malpractice claims like mine?
- Do you have a labor and delivery nurse on staff who can help prove medical malpractice?
- Do you have relationships with medical experts familiar with CP cases?
Find an Experienced Cerebral Palsy Law Firm Today
If your child has cerebral palsy and you suspect that it was caused by medical negligence, reach out to the Birth Injury Justice Center.
We can connect you with an experienced cerebral palsy law firm near you if you qualify.
Cerebral Palsy Law Firm FAQs
What is a CP lawyer?
A CP lawyer is a personal injury attorney who can help you file a cerebral palsy lawsuit if your child’s condition was caused by negligence.
If your lawsuit is successful, a cerebral palsy lawyer may be able to recover non-economic and economic damages for your family’s medical bills and pain and suffering.
Is cerebral palsy caused by negligence?
Cerebral palsy can sometimes be a result of negligence, especially if medical mistakes were made during pregnancy, labor, or delivery. However, not all cases are due to medical negligence.
A skilled cerebral palsy law firm can help you determine if your child’s CP could have been prevented.
Does hiring a cerebral palsy law firm guarantee a settlement?
While hiring a cerebral palsy law firm doesn’t guarantee a settlement, it can significantly increase your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve.
How long will my cerebral palsy case take?
The length of your CP case will depend on several factors. For one, cerebral palsy lawsuits tend to resolve quicker if they settle than if they go to trial.
A skilled cerebral palsy law firm will be able to help you get a better idea based on the specifics of your case.
How do I choose a cerebral palsy law firm?
Choosing between cerebral palsy law firms is a personal decision only you can make for your family.
You should feel confident in the law firm’s ability to win your cerebral palsy lawsuit. You should also feel comfortable with the lawyer who will be handling your case as well as the law firm’s staff. Therefore, the best way to choose a cerebral palsy law firm is to ask questions before you sign an agreement with the firm.
The Birth Injury Justice Center partners with some of the best cerebral palsy law firms in the country. Our network is fully vetted and ready to answer any questions you may have. Get a consultation now — our initial case review process is simple, and there is no cost or obligation to you.