Depo-Provera® Lawsuits Grow as First Trial Approaches

3 min read

Thousands of women have filed lawsuits claiming Depo-Provera® caused brain tumors after long-term use. Many say they were never properly warned about the possible risks of the birth control shot.

The Depo shot lawsuits are growing quickly, and the first trial is expected in late 2026. New studies, updated warning labels, and rising case counts have brought more attention to what women were told before using Depo-Provera.

The Birth Injury Justice Center is tracking the lawsuits and sharing updates for women who developed a brain tumor after using Depo-Provera.

Get a Free Depo-Provera Case Review

You may qualify for financial compensation. Get your case reviewed today for free.

Get a Free Case Review

Where Depo-Provera Lawsuits Stand in May 2026

The Depo-Provera litigation alleges the birth control shot caused meningioma brain tumors after long-term use.

As of May 2026, around 3,800 lawsuits had been combined into a federal multidistrict litigation (MDL) in Florida. An MDL groups similar lawsuits together to help manage the litigation more efficiently.

Several updates show how quickly the Depo-Provera lawsuits are moving:

  • The number of federal lawsuits grew from 78 in March 2025 to 3,099 by March 2026.
  • More than 1,000 new lawsuits were added in just one month, between February and March 2026.
  • More cases are also moving through state courts, including New York and Delaware.
  • Lawsuits have also been filed in California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and New Mexico.
  • The first trial is scheduled for December 7, 2026.

That first trial matters because it may show how a jury responds to the claims against the drugmaker. It could also affect future settlement talks for other women who filed lawsuits over Depo-Provera.

What Studies Say About Depo-Provera and Brain Tumors

Several major studies have linked long-term Depo-Provera use to a higher risk of serious side effects like meningioma brain tumors. Depo-Provera contains medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA), a synthetic form of the hormone progesterone.

One study published in JAMA Neurology found that women who used Depo-Provera had a 2.43 times higher risk of meningioma compared to women who did not use hormonal birth control.

The risk was highest among women who used the shot for more than four years or who started after age 31. An earlier study found that women who used Depo-Provera for one year or longer were 5.55 times more likely to develop a meningioma than non-users.

Researchers have also known for decades that many meningioma tumors contain progesterone receptors, raising concerns that synthetic progestins may influence tumor growth.

Years before the United States updated its warning label, health authorities in Europe and Canada had already required Depo-Provera to carry meningioma warnings.

What the FDA Warning Means for Depo-Provera Users

In December 2025, the FDA approved a label change for Depo-Provera that added a warning about meningiomas. The updated prescribing information says meningiomas have been reported after repeated use of medroxyprogesterone acetate, especially with long-term use.

This warning may help women who developed meningiomas better understand their legal options, including the possibility of seeking settlements for Depo-Provera shots.

The new warning tells health care providers to watch for meningioma symptoms and stop Depo-Provera if one is diagnosed. For women who used the shot before the warning was added, the update may raise serious questions about what they were told.

Anyone considering legal action should also understand that Depo Provera lawsuit deadlines are strict and vary by state.

Get Legal Help for Depo-Provera

If you suffered serious side effects after using Depo-Provera, you may be entitled to compensation. The Birth Injury Justice Center works with skilled Depo-Provera lawyers who can review your case and explain your legal options.

Our legal partners have decades of experience handling dangerous drug litigation and have recovered over $1.6 billion for people harmed by unsafe products and medical negligence.

Call us right now at (800) 914-1562 or fill out our form for a free case review.

Birth Injury Support TeamLast modified:

The Birth Injury Justice Center was founded in 2003 by a team of legal professionals to educate and empower victims and families affected by birth injuries. Our team is devoted to providing you with the best resources and legal information for all types of birth injuries.